Monday, March 26, 2007

Raw Chocolate Hits the Road


I spent the last five days in El Paso, Texas. The Southwestern city is at a crossroads--Mexico is within walking distance, New Mexico is a few exits away on the interstate. With my passport and a box of cacao nibs in hand, I rounded up a few regional ingredients and came up with this recipe:


Border Patrol Trail Mix
2 handfuls cacao nibs
4 handfuls shelled Texas pecans, broken into bits
2 teaspoons New Mexico chili powder
Juice of one Mexico lime
1/4 teaspoon sea salt


Preheat the oven to 400F. Stir the ingredients together. Spread the mixture on a baking tray, and place the tray in the oven for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Serves 4 people as a snack, and makes a feisty topping for pureed soups.

This is my contribution to Sugar High Friday #29: Raw Chocolate, an event that I'm hosting here at Chocolate in Context. I'll post a roundup of all the entries this Friday, March 30.

1 Comments:

Blogger Freya said...

Sounds delicious and unusual! Love the idea of putting it on some of soups or stews!

9:05 AM GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home